Trinity United Methodist Church
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Search this site.View the site map.

Our History

A Brief Historical Sketch of Trinity United Methodist Church
Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized September 20, 1866 by Rev. Davis Shoaff, prescher-in-charge of Berkeley Circuit, with the following original members: John M. Wolff, Daniel Marker, William Leathers, Susan Alburtis, Susan Showers, Martha A. Thompson, Mary E. Peterman, Mary E. McDaniel, James Baird, William Basore, Christian M. Shaffer, Catherine Armstrong, Christina Chambers, John Fisher and Sarah Fisher. During the summer, previous to the organizing of the church, services were held at the house of John M. Wolff on West King Street; the women occupied a small room and the men sitting under the mulberry trees in the rear yard; the minister stood on the steps.
 
Soon after the organization of the church, a church was erected on Maple Avenue. It was completed in the early winter of 1867 and dedicated on January 19, 1868. The congregation grew steadily.
 
A lot upon which the present church stands was purchased and work began. The congregation vacated the old church January 26, 1886 and held services in the Feller's Hall and the County Courthouse until March 1886 when the present building opened for religious services. The cornerstone was laid September 19, 1885 with Masonic rites. The church was completed and dedicated October 2, 1887. The entire cost was $13,500.
 
The Rev. J Raymond Wood  became pastor in 1941 and the present Educational Building was erected at a cost of $105,000. The ground breaking service was conducted by Rev. Wood on August 8, 1948. The cornerstone was laid April 10, 1949 and the building opened on June 12,1949. The building was paid for and debt free and dedicated on April 19,1953.
 
In 1968 the Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren denominations merged becoming the United Methodist Church. Rev. Wood retired in 1967, having served the church a quarter of it's existence at that time.
 
During the pastorate of Rev. Chester Kirk, two major improvement projects were completed. Major repairs were made to the Moler Organ installed by the Roush family in 1916. The sanctuary walls were stripped down to the old pink brick which was repointed and sealed with a protective coating of transparent sealer. The entire electrical system of the church was rewired by Edgar Rice. The church was rededicated on Sunday, September 26, 1976.
 
The organ has been updated and the 100 year old steeple was restored at a cost of nearly $100,00.
 
Trinity purchased acreage on Route 45 - The Orchard House Center (4599 Shepherdstown Road) and a building has been erected. Taize services were held there as well as our Scouting Ministries. The Youth and Scouting programs are continuing to grow.
 
In July of 2014, Rev, Dr, Ken Walker began his ministry at Trinity. Pastor Ken has enable Trinity to connect more with the community through encouraging the congregation to reach out in new activities.
 
In September of 2016, Trinity celebrated 150 years of worshipping together. A block party kicked off the celebrations in August, followed by an Anniversary play performed by some of our youth, children & adults. A 150th picnic was held at The Orchard House Center. It was a wonderful time for fellowship with friends, new and old! Trinity is looking forward to another 150 years of worshipping together and serving our community.
 
Trinity has had forty ministers. They have led the congregation in a series of endeavors, changing with the needs of the times, but following our principles of love & concern as Christ would wish us to do.
 
-Updated by Sally Ann Greenfield, November 2016
This brief history is based on Harry H. Bryrer's & Dorothy C. Myers's research and based on the writer's personal recollections.